Tests for High Sugar
Diabetes Test is done to detect if you have diabetes or you are pre-diabetic and also to monitor and control glucose levels over a period of time, and to detect and manage the risk of more complications. Test for Diabetes usually includes a battery of tests. Which are done for the various different purpose?
A diabetic profile includes the following tests
- Fasting Blood Sugar or Fasting Glucose or FBS
- Glucose tolerance test (OGTT)
- Glycated Haemoglobin (HbA1c)
You should go for a test for diabetes if you have any of the following
- One or more signs and symptoms of diabetes
- If you have a higher risk of diabetes due to family history, obesity, of lifestyle
- If you are diabetic it is important that you go for a test for Diabetes in regular intervals and track your number using an online tool, this will help you monitor your Sugar level as well as help you in managing diabetes
- Test for Diabetes also done for pregnant women, to detect the risk of Gestational diabetes.
If you have the signs and symptoms of Diabetes and have a higher risk of getting it, go a for a diabetic profile test. If the test outcome of one of the tests is below is abnormal, you should take the test again on another day to confirm the disease. The repeat result must be same to confirm a diagnosis of diabetes.
Test for Diabetes include:
- Fasting glucose:(FBG, fasting blood glucose) – To measures the level of glucose in the blood after an 8 to 12 hour fast.
Fasting Glucose Level Indication 70 to 99 mg/dL (3.9 to 5.5 mmol/L) Normal glucose(fasting) 100 to 125 mg/dL (5.6 to 6.9 mmol/L) Prediabetes (impaired fasting glucose) 126 mg/dL (7.0 mmol/L) and above on repeated testing occasion Diabetes
- HbA1c is a lab test for Diabetes that shows how well you are controlling your diabetes. It shows the average level of blood sugar (glucose) over the previous 3 months.
HbA1c Level Indication < 5.7% (39 mmol/mol) Normal 5.7% – 6.4% (39-46 mmol/mol) Prediabetes >6.5% (47 mmol/mol) Diabetes
- Test for Diabetes: Glucose tolerance test (OGTT) – For this test, first of all blood sample collected for a fasting blood test, then you will be asked to drink a 75-gram glucose and then another sample will be drawn two hours after the glucose intake.
Glucose Level 2 Hours After 75-gram Glucose Drink Indication Less than 140 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L) Normal level of glucose tolerance 140 – 199 mg/dL (7.8 – 11.1 mmol/L) Prediabetes (impaired glucose tolerance) Equal to or greater than 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) on repeated testing occasion Diabetes
For screening only:
- Sometimes urine samples are used to carry out to test for Diabetes for testing glucose, protein, and ketones, often as part of a urinalysis, during a routine physical examination. If glucose, protein or ketones are present in the urine sample, the person has a problem that needs to be addressed. Additional tests are usually done to identify the cause of the abnormal urine result.
AllizHealth provides you with tools and tracker to keep a tap on yours and your family’s health, Also a Health App. It also provides services like online booking of health packages, access to fitness and wellness centers or consulting a doctor for second opinion. Click here to use AllizHealth Portal.
Now you can keep a track of your loved one’s health and live a happy life. Reduce fear of losing or misplacing vital health information. Manage self and family health data and access from anywhere in the world. Click here to use Digital Health Wallet.
Labkhoj is health check-up and lab discovery platform where You can search, compare and book health test and package in your location at a discounted price.Click here to Book Health Tests.